Along with our coalition partners, Women Employed helped draft the bill, worked the halls in Springfield, mobilized advocates who called their legislators—and won! The Illinois pregnancy fairness law ensures that being pregnant in Illinois doesn’t mean being pushed out of the workplace.
Why It Matters
- No woman should have to choose between a healthy pregnancy and her job. The law ensures that pregnant women can receive the same types of reasonable accommodations, such as a stool to sit on, that employers already make for other workers who require temporary adjustments for their health.
- This law helps both pregnant workers and the families who rely on their paychecks. Women are the primary breadwinner in 41 percent of American families and either primary or co-breadwinners in 64% of families.
- Most women will become pregnant during their careers. Women of childbearing age make up 54% of the workforce in Illinois, and two-thirds of American women work during their pregnancy.
Learn More About the Law
- Pregnancy and Employment Under Illinois Law
- Derechos Laborales de Trabajadoras Embarazadas: La Ley en Illinois
Now Let's Make it National
Pregnant workers in IL are protected now, but we need to make sure that they're protected in every state. Let's make this amazing victory a national one!