About the Position
The Marketing and Engagement Coordinator helps build WE’s reputation and position us as an expert on our issues by collaborating on all facets of the organization’s marketing, engagement, and communications strategies. The person in this role leads media outreach and the cultivation of media relationships and helps prepare staff members for media and event appearances. They will coordinate WE’s social media channels and make updates to the website, working with the Director of Marketing and Engagement and other key staff to develop engaging, creative, issue-driven content and helping to shape strategy to build and connect with our audience. They may represent Women Employed at events, meetings, and on working groups, and will build relationships on behalf of the organization.
This role is collaborative, and the person in it will work across teams on organizational campaigns, events, initiatives, and special projects. It’s a dynamic position with a great deal of opportunity for growth and for new ideas.
This is a full-time, exempt position Women Employed’s office is located in downtown Chicago and WE is currently employing a hybrid in-office/remote model. Staff are able to work primarily remotely with some days in the office depending on meeting or work requirements. Starting salary is $44,200 per year. In addition, Women Employed offers competitive benefits including health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, flexible schedules, and more.
- Media and Speaking Engagements
- Coordinate Women Employed’s media outreach strategies, including proactively building relationships with members of the media, pitching Women Employed’s work and our experts, fielding requests from members of the media, and tracking media placements.
- Help prepare staff members for media and event appearances, compiling relevant data and information in collaboration with the policy team, and advising on messaging.
- Digital Communications
- Maintain WE’s social media channels and collaborate on development of social media strategies, developing and posting timely and engaging content, often in rapid response to developing news or emerging issues, that attracts new audiences, drives people to action, reflects a gender and racial equity lens, and inspires people to get involved.
- Work across teams to develop email communications that inform our supporters, engage them in our work, and drive them to action.
- Ensure Women Employed’s website remains up-to-date and relevant by making regular content updates and collaborating on development of new content that is engaging and rich.
- Other Marketing, Communications, and Engagement Responsibilities
- Ability to quickly learn and become proficient in technology platforms utilized by the Marketing and Engagement team, including the website, social media, digital analytics, Salesforce database and related apps, email marketing platform, and other technologies as needed.
- Write blog posts, letters to the editor, press releases, op-eds, and opinion pieces on our issues—with guidance and support from the Director of Marketing and Engagement and sometime in rapid response to breaking news or emerging issues—that are consistent with our messaging and our commitment to equity for all, reflect the intersectional nature of our work, and that engage, inform, and position WE as an expert, and support other staff across the organization in doing the same.
- Work collaboratively to collect and tell personal stories and testimonials to put a human face on the issues we work on.
- Collaborate on the development and production of annual reports, organizational brochures, flyers, mailings, and other print publications and cultivation pieces.
- Provide support as needed to engagement initiatives, including for our annual Summer Leadership Program internship program, and for our volunteer Marketing and Advocacy Councils Ensure that communications, materials, and strategies produced reflect an intersectional, racial and gender equity lens and a social justice mindset.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life experience, and at least two years of professional communications experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and an ability to build relationships. Promotional writing experience a strong plus.
- Excellent organization, planning, and project management skills, ability to handle multiple assignments and requests and meet deadlines, and strong attention to detail with a high level of accuracy.
- Strong interest in WE mission.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products.
- Able to work full-time and available some evenings and weekends to support the Marketing & Engagement Director in participating in rapid response situations, and during special events as required.