The Pattis Family Foundation Summer Leadership Program
Women Employed’s Summer Leadership Program, generously sponsored by The Pattis Family Foundation and supported by two additional donors: Ora Kathleen-Flynn Family Foundation and Mesirow, provides a unique opportunity for professional skill building and practical experience by exposing a team of interns to leadership training, front-line research, and awareness of the barriers low-paid workers experience. The program seeks to introduce current college students to all areas of nonprofit work through workshops, guest speakers, and projects.
The interns' project work may consist of:
- Facilitating issue-based discussions with staff and interns
- Designing and implementing public information and awareness campaigns for specific Women Employed Issues
- Conducting research and outreach on issues relevant to low-wage women
- Conducting interviews and assisting with other program work as needed
Over the course of the summer, interns will:
- Be familiar with the history and future of the women’s movement
- Participate in professional development workshops on effective advocacy
- Nonprofit organizational development and communications
- Explore aspects of social justice work with guest speakers
Our Summer Leaders
Women Employed, with five decades of leadership in improving women's economic status, has the advocacy expertise, innovative programming, and extensive organizational connections to create a rich experience for our interns.
Requirements to Apply
- A sophomore (or above) currently enrolled in an academic or training program at a community college, or a junior (or above) at a four-year institution. Graduate students will not be considered at this time.
- Available June 10th through July 31st Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. each day.
- Must have a permanent address in Illinois OR currently live and study in Illinois.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States (WE does not sponsor Visas).
Women Employed seeks to improve the lives of all working women through systemic change. Therefore, WE values the unique experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, skills, knowledge, and work styles that a diverse workforce brings to our organization.
Women Employed is committed to building a diverse and inclusive staff, and we encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and individuals with disabilities to apply
Please Note: The 2024 application for The Pattis Family Foundation Summer Leadership Program is now live. The deadline to apply is March 27, 2024.
- Interns serve on Mondays and Wednesdays, from June 10th through July 31st.
- The program includes a $2,400 stipend.
- Interns will participate virtually and will have the opportunity to meet in-person 1-2 times throughout the course of the program. Interns will need to have access to a reliable computer and internet connection, which Women Employed may be able to help provide to selected candidates who do not have access.